Calico and calicoctl in K8s Ubuntu 20 servers LTS

Hi! I made K8s etcd kubeadm cluster with calico as network addon. I install calico addon without etcd for a maximum of 50 nodes. I’d like to install calicoctl. But I don’t understand where and how I need it to install for best use. Where is documentation (video tutorial) on how to install it? And how to use calcicotl? Yaml files are used in different ways. I watch some video and I don’t see any calicoctl. If I install calicoctl as a binary on a single host to one master node. I’ll be able to use it in my K8s cluster?

Try this HOWTO: https://docs.projectcalico.org/getting-started/clis/calicoctl/install I don’t think we have a video tutorial, unfortunately.

I saw it. I don’t understand I need Installing calicoctl as a binary on a single host or as Kubernetes POD. What are differents betwean both.

Installing as a pod can be convenient because you don’t have to do as much local set-up (with kubeconfig etc) but installing locally makes it easier to run calicoctl once you have it working.

Ok, I need install it to every k8s cluster master?

calicoctl is similar to kubectl in that it’s the client to the Calico API. It’s reasonable for you to install calicoctl to a local environment, like your laptop, and change configurations to access a number of different clusters. If you’re using something like a bastion node to limit API access to your cluster, then you could keep your calicoctl and configuration on that node. It’s largely your choice, and what your operational environment looks like.

One thing you need to watch out for is ensuring you’ve configured calicoctl to look at the correct datastore. In most cases Kubernetes is your datastore, and you will need to explicitly set that in your calicoctl configuration. By default it tries to connect to an etcd datastore.